Fried Audio Bud Friend Tower Loudspeaker System – $2,995 US Retail. The Bud Fried Tower by Fried Audio is a outstanding floor-standing two way speaker based on many of the ideals espoused by Bud Friend in his loudspeaker designs:
- Soft Dome Tweeter: Bud Fried earned a reputation for utilizing the best price/performance drivers in the world. Oskar Wrønding, former head of product development for ScanSpeak and current owner of Hiquphon, developed a special ferro-fluid version of his incomparable OW2 dome tweeter especially for Bud’s designs. We are proud to continue the Fried relationship with Hiquphon and selected the Fried OW2 tweeter for this new design.
- Treated Paper Cone Woofer: To complement the Hiquphon tweeter, we selected a driver from the Peerless Exclusive line. This 7” woofer features an integrated phase plug and offers low distortion and very smooth response. Bud would have liked this driver’s near flat impedance curve, the result of lots of copper in all the right places.
- Series Crossover Design: The best drivers in the world are only a starting point. The heart and soul of a great speaker is a crossover that delivers seamless driver integration for smooth response from top to bottom. Bud was a champion of series crossovers and we remain true to his crossover design philosophies.
- Transmission Line Cabinet Design: Bud Fried was a true audio pioneer who brought transmission line speakers to the masses. While complicated and costly to develop, Bud recognized the very real advantages of TL designs – smooth and relaxed mid-range response, excellent bass extension and ease of placement. We utilized the latest software design tools to model and develop this new line of Bud Fried speaker cabinets. TL all the way!
- Cabinet Finishes: Made in the USA (by well known custom speaker designer/manufacturer Jim Salk of Slak Sound in Pontiac Michigan), The Bud Friend Towers are available in a number of wood veneer finishes (Golden Oak. Natural Walnut, Natural Cherry, Natural Mahogany, Natural Maple, Rose Red Cherry, Black Oak, RoseNut, Rose-Red Mahogany, and Medium Cherry). Cabinet work s comparable to speakers costing many times more.
|Design||MTM 2-way Quarter Wave Tube Transmission Line|
|Drivers||(1) Hiquphon OW2F, (2) Peerless Exclusive 7″|
|Response||35Hz – 20KHz (+/- 3db)
|Impedance||4 ohms nominal|
|Min Amplification||35 watts tube/50 watts solid state|
|Alignment||Mass-loaded quarter-wave transmission line|
|Weight||58 pounds each|
|Dimensions||45″ H x 8.5″ W x 14″ D (including spikes)|