Wavelength Audio Brick USB DAC (Non Over-Sampling v2 D/A or 24/96 Wolfson D/A v3 D/A) – $1,750 US Retail. The Wavelength Audio Brick v3 uses a 12AU7A Reactor Follower output stage and has the capabilities required for high resolution audio in handling sampling rates up to 96Khz. A Wolfson dac is used to get the 24 bit output with also a lot higher output voltage than the v2 NOS dac chip did. So the new Brick outputs a full signal at 2vrms (standard CD output voltages). For even better performance, add the Mortar international power supply for $250. The Brick USB DAC v2 (now with ASYNC mode) is also available and has the same 12AU7/ECC82 reactor follower output and uses a Non Over-Sampling DAC for those that performance the sound of NOS D/A’s. Art Dudley’s review of the Brick in his Listening #33 Column in Stereophile Magazine gave the Brick the Stereophile Class A rating in 2009 and was Stereophile’s Digital Product of the Year in 2009 as well. The Brick uses similar technology as the Cosecant and Streamlength ASYNC communication technology. The Brick has a very low jitter central clock that runs the entire audio section.
Wavelength Audio Brick Specifications:
- USB Full Speed 24/96 USB DAC.
- Output Impedance ~ 600 ohms unbalanced only.
- Power up and power down follows the state of the computer.
- External Power supply North American standard, Mortar international plus $250.
- Tube: ECC82/12AU7A typically sent with JJ selected tubes.
- Dimensions & weight: 6.5″ wide by 6.5″ deep, by 4.5″ high, 8 Pounds.
- Reactor follower output is capacitor coupled and best used into a 10K ohm impedance load.